Lisa Drostova, Public Engagement Manager
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
RAGGED WING ENSEMBLE ANNOUNCES THE LAUNCH OF THE FLIGHT DECK AND TOWNSHIP RESTAURANT WITH A GRAND OPENING FESTIVAL OF PERFORMANCES, PARTIES, WORKSHOPS, AND EVENTS, JUNE 6-14, 2014
April 10, 2014--After months of dust and ductwork, The Flight Deck performance center and Township restaurant, neighbors at 1540 Broadway in Downtown Oakland, will be opening their doors in a week-long Grand Opening celebration beginning on June 6, 2014. Starting on that First Friday, The Flight Deck, Oakland's hot new multidisciplinary arts space and theater venue, will celebrate the local creative community by featuring a dizzying banquet of events--performances from Resident Companies and friends, play readings, panel discussions, dance and theater performance workshops, artist talks, a gallery show, a fantastic opening night party in collaboration with Township, and finally Ragged Wing Ensemble's annual Gala. Below is just a partial list of an evolving week; for the most up-to-date schedule of events, visit either www.raggedwing.org or www.theflightdeck.org as more performers and artists sign on.
The Opening Party, on Friday June 6, will showcase all the energy and excitement of a burgeoning arts district and community hotspot.
- The evening begins with the “Just Ripe” group exhibition and opening reception in The Flight Deck Gallery from 5-7 pm. Meet the founders of The Flight Deck, local dignitaries and view artwork from East Bay mixed media artists; free wine and cheese will be served. During the event, enjoy exuberant short dance and physical theater performances in Latham Square, just across the street.
- At 7 pm, the ticketed Opening Party begins at Township, with a limited dinner menu, no-host bar, art in the mezzanine gallery, and pop-up performances from Ragged Wing artists, while Gritty City Repertory Youth Theatre performs After Juliet in the Flight Deck’s theater (ticketed separately through www.grittycityrep.org).
- At 10 pm, the door between the two businesses will be ceremonially opened so guests can move back and forth between art tours, performances, and acoustic music in the various areas of The Flight Deck and a dj dance party in Township until midnight.
In the evenings of the week following, the buzz will continue with performances and musicians spanning a range of styles and flavors. Unless otherwise noted, all performances begin at 8 pm.
- Saturday June 7, is closing night of Gritty City Repertory Youth Theatre’s After Juliet. (ticketed separately through www.grittycityrep.org)
- Monday night June 9 there's a variety show with improv group Chick Flick (www.improvchicks.com), songs from the SF Fringe award-winning O Best Beloved, a clown act from frequent Ragged Wing collaborator Wendi Gross, a short work from foolsFury (www.foolsfury.org), music by Aharon Wheels Bolsta, a Coyoteezxha story by Decoy from her tribe, Chiricahua Nde and Emma Jaster performing her Solo for Two.
- Tuesday June 10, Resident Company Dana Lawton Dances (www.danalawtondances.org) pairs with acoustic trio Little Jonny and the Giants (www.littlejonny.net).
- Wednesday June 11 brings the Knights of Revery (www.knightsofrevery.com), short work “The Honey Gatherers”, and the True Life Trio (www.truelifetrio.com/).
- Thursday and Friday June 12 and 13, Ragged Wing reprises their Fierce Plays 2014, an evening of short original plays on the theme of "Just Ripe,” accompanied by Adara Dance Company (www.facebook.com/AdaraDanceCompany) on Thursday and Sin Nombre (http://sin-nombre.bandcamp.com) on Friday.
Five to 7 pm every weekday will be “happy hour”, and will feature:
- Monday June 9, a panel discussion on local food moderated by Township's Abeni Ramsey.
- Tuesday June 10, Ragged Wing’s Michele Owen moderates a panel on co-working with Oakstop’s Trevor Parham and Ashara Ekundayo of Impact Hub Oakland.
- Wednesday June 11, Resident Company Virago Theatre (www.viragotheatre.org) presents a staged reading of a short play, followed by music from Laura Inserra (http://www.laurainserra.com/)
- Thursday June 12, Boyz II Mensch (www.boyziimensch.com), My Song Your Song (www.yoursongmysong.com), and the Jewish Folk Chorus of San Francisco (www.jewishfolkchorussf.org) start at 4:30 pm with a presentation of great music for kids and families.
- Friday June 13, the artists presenting in the Gallery Show will give a talk, with the group going over to Township at 6 pm to socialize.
During the day, guests can check out a range of classes in different performance and movement styles:
- Saturday June 7, Robert Hickling presents Shamanik Improv II - Drop in, Tune in, Turn On from 10am-1 pm (www.shamanikimprovklasses.com)
- Monday June 9, Jenny Holland leads a music workshop from noon-1 pm and then Michael Cavanaugh teaches Slapstick from 1:30-4:30 pm (www.everybodylaughs.com).
- Tuesday June 10 brings a music workshop with Aharon Wheels Bolsta (www.aharonwheelsbolsta.com) from 11 am-1 pm, belly dance with Natalie Nayun from 11 am-1 pm, and Clown with Michael Cavanaugh from 1:30-4:30 pm
- Wednesday June 11 Ragged Wing Artistic Director Amy Sass will lead a behind the scenes tour at 11am, with a noon workshop, panel and demonstrations on the art of ensemble including the design process, Michael Cavanaugh teaches Mask from 1:30-4:30 pm while Lisa Drostova leads a family-friendly workshop sock-animal making.
- Friday June 13, Jeriel Bey teaches a T.U.R.F. dancing workshop from 11 am-1 pm and then presents an exhibition from 1:30-4:30 pm, while Robert Hickling shares Shamanik Improv 1: Just the Basiks from 1:30-4:30 pm.
- Saturday, June 14 from 10 am-noon, Aluminous Collective Artistic Director, Michael French, offers Basics of Acting. (www.aluminous.org)
...and more classes yet to be announced!
The week culminates in Ragged Wing Ensemble’s Lift Off Gala the evening of Saturday June 14, featuring an elegant catered dinner, silent auction, and even more fantastic short performances.
Tickets for the workshops and performances will range from $10-30; a Festival Pass allowing access to all events except the Opening Party and the Gala will be just $35. A limited number of tickets for the Opening Party will be available at the door for $25 the night of the event. Tickets for Ragged Wing’s Lift Off Gala will be $65 and $100 (VIP) and will be available through www.raggedwing.org.
The Flight Deck is a shared, multidisciplinary art space and theater venue that builds community by creating a place where artists, performers, and audiences can work, perform, and thrive. Built through the generosity of donors, the community, and the City of Oakland, the Flight Deck features a 99-seat modular black box theater, a rehearsal studio, a storefront gallery space, and comfortable space for co-working. The Flight Deck hosts five resident companies for the 2014-2015 season: Aluminous Collective (www.aluminous.org), Dana Lawton Dances (www.danalawtondances.org), Gritty City Repertory Youth Theatre (www.grittycityrep.org), Ragged Wing Ensemble (www.raggedwing.org), and Virago Theatre Company (www.viragotheatre.org). Several of the Flight Deck’s spaces are also available for rental.
Township is a farm-to-table restaurant focused on high-quality American cuisine in a relaxed, comfortable atmosphere featuring local art, a living wall of healing and culinary herbs, and a mezzanine for small performances. In addition to the main dining room, Township will have a cafe space open from 7 am-3 pm on weekdays.
WHAT: THE FLIGHT DECK GRAND OPENING FESTIVAL
WHEN: JUNE 6-14, 2014
WHERE: 1540 Broadway in Downtown Oakland
TICKETS: $10-30, WITH AN ALL-ACCESS PASS FOR $35 (does not include Opening Night Party or Ragged Wing Lift Off Gala) available through www.raggedwing.org or www.theflightdeck.org
FOR MORE INFORMATION CHECK OUT www.raggedwing.org or www. theflightdeck.org